Tuesday, October 26, 2010

You know it is cold outside when...

I have always lived in the suburbs.  Cows are those animals you pass by while driving on the highway between cities.

Now that I live in farm land and have cows for my neighbors, I am learning another rhythm of life.  I know when my bovine neighbors are fed, their movement from pasture to pasture and when it is going to rain (cows lay down when it is going to rain, according to one of Kyra's teachers).  In Belgium this is pretty much every day and all the time.

Now the cows also help me gauge temperature.  About a week or so ago, I noticed four foot piles of hay and dirt "burning" close to the barns.  I'm slow on the uptake, but I've got it now.  You know it is cold outside when you can see the steam rising off the manure piles.

No comments:

Post a Comment