Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Audition

The last time I participated in community theater I was not yet a mom and not yet married.   So let's just say it's been awhile.

This past fall Kyra participated in SHAPE theater's production of Bye Bye Birdie.  I have been impressed by SHAPE Players for a number of reasons.  Even in just dropping off and picking up Kyra I could tell that the participants were having a good time, respected one another, took their roles seriously, and were giving a significant amount of time to the production.  Briefly observing rehearsals I could tell that the production level was high but not unrealistic and that the director is quite talented.

I began to consider if I could possibly make the time commitment to a production.  The more I watched the director, the more I wanted to give it a try.  (The director recently won an award for best civilian employee of morale/welfare in the entire military - not only for being really good at his job but also his ability to involve a large part of the community - soldiers, civilians, adults, teens, kids, etc)

So last night auditions were held for Tartuffe.  Tartuffe is a comedy by Moliere.  The play is being done in English not its original French and the director is setting the play in the American South during Reconstruction.  The audition notices did alert us that southern accents were required.  I started trying to channel my inner Scarlet O'Hara a couple of weeks ago.

The auditions were quite fun.  We practiced our southern accents we read short scenes from the play in various combinations so that the director could get a sense of of stage presence, etc.   Even though scenes were read out of context by people who had no time to prepare, practice or refine, they were funny.  I can only imagine how much better the play will get as it is staged and practiced and refined.

I'm now waiting to hear if I have a part.  I hope I do because it was fun.  If not, I'll wait and try again next time.  Watch this space for news....

No comments:

Post a Comment