Saturday, February 4, 2012

Alaskan Camping Gear is Useful in Belgium

Almost four years ago I took an Outward Bound trip in Alaska.  I spent over a week sea kayaking and camping in cold, rainy, beautiful Alaska.

As part of my preparations for the trip, I was given an extensive shopping list for clothing and other items.  I bought several pairs of wool socks, long underwear, fleece pants and shirts, rain boots, jacket, rain pants and a rain jacket.  While no one item (other than the North Face jacket) was particularly expensive, all together they came to a healthy sum.

I knew I would get good use out of them while in Alaska (and I did) I didn't think I'd get much use out of those items afterwards.  And then I moved to Belgium...

If I haven't mentioned it before, it rains here.  Alot.  The rain jacket very useful.  The rain pants get pulled out fairly frequently and the rain boots certainly keep my feet dry when walking the dog.

This week the long underwear is coming in handy. We are in the midst of a cold snap and it is predicted to last another week or so.  Our house and many SHAPE buildings are not exactly the most energy efficient when it comes to holding in heat.  It helps to have those extra layers to keep me warm.

Now I don't feel so bad about buying all that specialized clothing.  I have gotten far more use out of it than just those 10 days in Alaska.   Both in Alaska and here I would have to say - huge Helly Hansen fan!

1 comment:

  1. I saw that the Mannekin Pis had to be turned off so that he would not break. Alicia is concerned that he won't be working when she is there.

    ReplyDelete