Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Frites

Frites (french fries) are available everywhere.  These were purchased at the Ducasse d'Ath in the town square, but every town, no matter how small, has a friterie.

I have not yet wandered into a friterie but I understand that at a friterie one can order a fried hamburger to go with one's fries.

But back to the frites-

They are french fries - thicker than McDonald's but generally they are your average french fries.  Not extra special good.  Not extra special bad.  They are packaged in a cone that looks like the one Kyra is holding.

What makes Belgian fries so remarkable is their condiment.  In America we have ketchup and in Canada they used malt vinegar.  In Belgium they have mayonnaise and it is not used sparingly.


I had to sneak to take this photo so it is not quite as clear as I would like it to be, but that white stuff in the paper cone of frites is mayonnaise - at least a cup of it.

I am not a fan of mayonnaise, I eat it once or twice a year on my Thanksgiving turkey sandwich.  When I use it, it is a skim coat across a single piece of bread.  The thought of a cup of it is a bit nauseating, but this is the way Belgians eat their fries.

It probably comes as no surprise that walking down the street, one does not encounter as many waif-like figures as one does in the US.  What does come as a surprise is that walking down the street one does not encounter as many obese figures as one does in the US.

Anyways, if you are longing for a taste of Belgium, without the expense and hassle of travel, pull out that jar of mayo next time you have french fries.

1 comment:

  1. AnnaMaria, my director of music, eats her fries with mayonnaise--maybe she learned it from her dad who is Italian.

    ReplyDelete